Snohomish Co-op is the only station in Snohomish to offer ethanol-free gasoline.
The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 requires that more biofuel be used every year until we reach 36 billion gallons by 2022.
Good for energy independence but...
Ethanol - Negatives
- In 2009, 1/3 of U.S. corn was used as ethanol additive which accounted for only 5% of U.S. gasoline use.
- By 2015, regulation states that 15 billion gallons of ethanol must be used in U.S. gasoline which accounts for 50% of all U.S. corn.
- With this in mind, already nearly 1 billion people around the globe will go to bed hungry tonight.
- The use of ethanol actually creates a net energy loss.
- Ethanol attracts/absorbs water, deteriorating the fuel itself and fuel components.
- Test kits for water
- Shelf life of gasoline with 10% ethanol is only 3 months.
- Ethanol dissolves fiberglass, and is corrosive to aluminum.
- Ethanol is especially harmful to mowers, blowers, chain-saws, and other small gas engines.